Monday, January 17, 2011

They're goals not resolutions.

I know this is a little late. We're now a couple weeks into 2011, although I did come up with these goals at the beginning of the year. I've never really been one to set "resolutions". I see resolutions as something that everyone assumes only lasts until the snow melts. So this year I decided to set some goals for myself, to help keep myself accountable in 2011. I have a feeling this is going to be a great year, hopefully one where I can figure out where my life is going with a little more certainty. So here in no particular order are my goals for 2011.

1. Reach my goal weight.
 *I've been doing weight watchers on and off since July of 2011. I started to lose a few pounds before our wedding. I lost about 16 by October. I remember seeing that number weighing in for the first time. I couldn't believe my eyes that I had let myself get to that point how did I not see it? July 2009 I started at 210 pounds. As horrifying as it is to post that.  I'm doing it, to show I far I've come. After the wedding I quit for a while and gained most of it back though. I started back for good February 2010. I wasn't doing the best I would lose and then gain and then lose and then gain. I wasn't getting anywhere. Then Tony joined with me and we've been doing it together for a few months now. I've consistently lost every week since he started doing it with me. Right before the holidays I weighed in at 184. Which I realize is still heavy and I know I still have a long way to go, but I've lost 26 pounds! Something I've never been able to do before. I believe that I will be able to get to my goal weight by this year though, I haven't decided what the weight is but I am actively working towards it. Which brings me to numero dos.

2. Start a regular workout regimine.
 * This is something I've never been able to stick to. I've had a gym membership for almost 2 years and have rarely used it. So I've been trying to get my money's worth, and whatever helps me reach my goal faster I'm all for. I've been trying different things to get my activity in. I absolutely LOVE Zumba, it is such an amazing workout but it is so much fun. It's burning calories while shakin my ass, and I am so on board! I got a zumba game for Christmas so I've been shakin' it at home in my living room. Which took me a while to get used to. I also tried a dance class with liz and the gym, which was quite a hardcore workout. You don't realize what a workout dancing is until your calves/thighs/arms/muscles I didn't even knew existed are throbbing the next day. I also do the eliptical and a little bit of walking on the treadmill. It seems to be getting easier the more I do it. Who's going to be jacked this summer? THIS GIRL!

3. Get out of debt
 * This was actually my "resolution" last year. I didn't accomplish it. I now it will happen this year. I will pay of my first care this year, which will free up a good chunk of money to start putting torwards other bills. In case anyone doesn't know, credit cards are the devil. Actually any kind of credit is the devil. It starts so innocently with one little credit card, before you know it your whole wallet is filled. I feel like It's good to have learned this less at a young age though. I hope that I can someday teach my children smart money management. Well as soon as I figure it out. I just have to keep telling my self that you don't need that new pair of shoes or new dress. Hopefully this time next year we will have saved enough or be on our way to a down payment for our first home! I will be repeating this mantra in my head whenever I'm tempted "New house!"

4. Photograph one wedding. (even if it's just shadowing)
 * So this is not something I have shared out in public. Tony got me a "professional" fancy schmany camera for christmas. Something I've been wanting for a while. I've spent so many years trying to figure out what I want to do with my life to no avail. This year it finally hit me, it was just an ah-ha moment. I want to be a photographer. Wedding/families/people in general. I've always liked photography but have been afraid to take the leap.  Well this is my year. I don't tell a whole lot of people about this, just because it's so new and I have NO clue what I'm doing yet. But I'm going to have to get the word out there eventually, so here it is for the first time. I wanted to start another blog for it, a picture a day blog or something along those lines. I haven't quite gotten around to it yet. My first step I was thinking about is just emailing other photographers. There are a few I know, just to learn from them and possibly shadow them to see how it all works. So this is a goal this year to shadow one wedding this year. I'm not a very outgoing person when it comes to this kind of thing, so I get a little panicy on the inside when I think about it. That's part of the goal though is to just put myself out there!
So I think that is my list of goals for 2011. Wish my luck and courage, I'm going to need it!

And because a blog post is always better with a picture. This is me opening my camera.
I'm seriously a child when it comes to Christmas.

My face is dis-gusting in this picture but it shows my surprise.
Muah, Jen

2 comments:

  1. 26 pounds is a HUGE accomplishment, congrats girl, I'm so impressed with how hard you're working. I miss you a ton! Great goals and great insights on goals/resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for your photography! I would love it if you did a photo blog!

    ReplyDelete