Sunday, January 10, 2010

My New Years Resolution

My resolution or better yet my goal for this year, is to get out of debt. Last year it was hard to get out of debt when every penny had to go torwards the wedding. There wasn't a whole lot left over. Even when we were "saving" for the wedding we were still pretty bad about being frugal. It is hard for me to just sit in the house all day every weekend. It doesn't give much to look forward to. So we still went out and spent money and had fun. So far this year the past couple weekends I think we have done better to stay in. It's hard because I get restless but it's also so cold outside I don't really want to leave the house. So instead of ordering pizza's (a staple of ours) and watching movies we just stocked up on $3 pizza's at kroger. Saves us atleast $20. Also I have been being better at staying home and cooking and packing my lunches for work. I've added up the money we have previously spent on eating out and it is staggering! I think it is nice to do maybe once or twice a week, but it is definantely not condusive to saving. Also I have been trying to learn to talk myself out of certain purchases. When I think I have nothing to buy I always seem to come up with something I need.  There will always be something that we "need" nobody has everything. I guess I just need to prioritize. I am organizing all of our bills and have figured out our balances on all of the credit cards so we can stop paying thouse off. If we got all of those paid off that would save us a few hundred a month on monthly bills.
   Tony's resolution this year is to buy a house. Who knows when this will happen or if it will happen, but I think our goals pretty much go hand in hand. There is a bit of debt to get out of but not as much as some have aquired. We are still young, and hopefully we will learn from our revolving credit mistakes. Hoping to be first time home buyers soon!

2 comments:

  1. That's a great resolution! I'm impressed with how far you've gone so far!!
    It's hard.
    Sometimes buying games is a good investment for saving money. If you spend 20 bucks on one game, that's less than a night of going out and it entertains over and over!
    Or if I'm bored but can't spend money, I'll go to the library and read magazines! That way I don't buy them and save money that way, it gets me out of the house and gives me something to do :)
    just some tips I've discovered along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you guys. :) I like your goal. It's also a tough one, so I'm happy that you are succeeding at it!

    We'd love to buy a house, but we are waiting until David graduates so that we can move out of Utah & buy a place where I could build a studio onto the house as well.

    Let me know when you get close to house hunting / buying. That is really exciting!

    ReplyDelete